Every year we pick a weekend and camp with our friends. I think oh wow so simple a tent, sleeping bags and a fire. Wrong, my husband inspector gadget decided we needed some “essentials.” A portable table top grill, a solar heated shower bag and of course the potty with poo powder, and of course a room to put the potty in. Ha I’m sure more will arrive before we leave and who knows what else we NEED. I am just looking forward to watching lawn mowers race each other. I think we are officially glamping and who knew my man created it.
My heart hurts today. A friends young daughter passed away yesterday of a drug overdose. The pain she is dealing with right now must be unbearable. I cannot even imagine if one of my children left this earth before me, honestly this is one of my greatest fears.
I have been around drug abuse most of my life and have seen the devastation it causes to the person using and the family and friends around them who love and care about them.
The question I have to ask is when and how do we stop this train wreck?
- The pharmaceutic companies must have some consequence for creating highly addictive substances that have 8 million people in the United States hooked.
- How do citizens fight this multi-billion dollar industry?
- What about the doctors who prescribe these like candy, what’s their penance?
- Certainly there are tracking mechanisms in place to catch doctors over prescribing
- How about the dealers with no conscience who sell anything and everything for a quick buck?
- Used to be a lot more difficult than it is today to get illegal drugs, every corner
- How about the coaches who want athletes on the field at any cost?
- Oh I know this begins in high school as I have seen it firsthand, college, NFL, your knee hurts here is a pain med.
I don’t pretend to have the answer but certainly as a society we at some point have to recognize that something has to give. Maybe instead of building new prisons maybe we should put our funding into treatment facilities. Yes the argument I am certain will be made that each person has a choice, but do they really once they are hooked. The mind and body aren’t fully developed until almost 30 and are now altered, how do you go back? I found some research from Daniel Amen which I found very interesting, if you have time take a look.
Everyone that I know juggles their life responsibilities, between work, kids, commuting, exercising, eating and just simply surviving the day to day grind it is easy to become overwhelmed and not stop and take even a moment to enjoy yourself. I have been this person forever and not until recently did I realize how important it is to take time out from the chaos.
Will anyone die:
- If you don’t’ spend your days off catching up on chores
- if you don’t get out of bed until noon
- If you order pizza and have a Netflix marathon
- if you start cocktail hour at 9am
- If you lay by the pool all day
Could you go an entire weekend without checking your phone or email? This is very very hard for me since I work in information technology and love devices. This is my connection to the world. I also realize that this is a major distraction and has taken away from my focus on true conversations and the importance of providing my undivided attention to another person.
As part of my big 50 birthday celebration we are packing our tent and going camping in Wamic with our few friends. What is Wamic you ask, a little place in Oregon that has nothing but a camp ground, a bar and a grass cart track, oh and a rodeo. We spend the entire day watching souped up lawnmowers race around a dirt track while eating foot long hotdogs and drinking beer, how much better can it get, ha. The best part is there is zero cell phone service so I am forced to go off grid, YES!!! I encourage you all to unplug even if it is just for a day. My goal is to incorporate this practice into my schedule once a week, wish me luck.
I am researching the whole “make a profit from your blog” concept and in my quest for information I read a book that suggested my grammar needed to be perfect. I do not agree with this and let me tell you why.
• I want people to follow my blog because of my fun personality and great information and a lot of that has to do with my slang and off the wall perspective and humor. None of which obey good grammar rules
• I spent 4 years of my life in college getting my bachelor’s degree and had to write using correct syntax, why would I torture myself for the rest of my life doing the same.
• I have two college graduate children and for the past 9 years I have been the editor and chief of every one of their papers, I’m tired.
My hope is that when you read my blog you can’t help but smile at least once.
This year thus far has been very interesting; we have had 2 hit and run totaled vehicles.
- First question, would you hit someone and not stop, what if they are injured, could you live with yourself not knowing?
- Second if you leave and are found that is a criminal offense, do you want to go to jail or worse be charged with multiple felonies.
- Or is it that these people are already criminals and they simply don’t care?
Due to the hit and run drivers we then are forced to car shop and I think I have expressed previously just how much I loathe car salesmen, and I say men because that is the majority who work in the industry.
- Is there a reason I am treated like I am stupid and have never purchased a vehicle before because I am a female?
- Yes I know where the battery is, hello and a whole lot more since I have purchased well over 20 vehicles in my lifetime, yes again me NOT my husband, he refuses to go.
- When you say the car is discounted as far as it can be because that is what you have in it, I know this is a flat out lie because you bought it at auction and have marked it up to the retail price, yes I know this too.
Story: Just purchased a replacement vehicle from Kia of Portland. Let me give you their name so you will know who NOT to deal with. My son and I were told that the used vehicle we were interested in was the best possible price. We purchased the car and drove it off the lot.
- The next day I get an alert that the car price has been reduced on the website by $1000. Really?
- Being the follow up person I am, I immediately sent the dealer and email and ask for my $1000 back, that seems fair right?
- They knew the vehicle was sold but reduced it to attract customers on their website, is this not dishonest? Yes same vin number and vehicle photos..
Last let’s talk the federal budget. I see that the reductions are all coming out of the programs that impact the middle class, elderly, and below poverty level population.
- How is it that the rich will receive even more tax breaks and the people who really need the help are being penalized?
- The dishonesty of this particular administration thus far is mind boggling.
- If I made over 5 hundred thousand dollars a year I would be throwing money at programs to benefit those less fortunate and be happy to pay more taxes, come on what has happened to helping your fellow citizen?
- So the rich get richer and the poor get poorer, do we want another depression in this country?
- Where has common sense gone?
I received this picture today from a young lady who I have known since she was little. I don’t remember taking this but I was pregnant with my youngest son who is now 23. I have no idea what was going on with the hair cut (so bad) but the dress is cute. I look so young and innocent, wow how that has changed. I think 25 was a turning point in my life as I decided that I was going to go back to college and finish my degree because I had 2 little lives I was about to set and example for. Best decision ever, 20 years later both my young men are also college grads.
If I could go back in time I certainly would do some things different as a parent but moving forward I need to learn to stop being the helper enabler). I tend to always think about how can I make their lives easier and this often leads to frustration when I feel like I am not being appreciated. Which makes me ask myself do I need to feel appreciated, I guess so. This year I turn 50, oh my god I said it out loud, ha and someone once said if you expect nothing from others you will never be disappointed so for the second half of my journey I am going to continue to try and learn to appreciate and acknowledge myself and all that I am.
My oldest child is a Uber driver and has met some fantastic and fascinating people. Last night was one of his more interesting experiences. He went to pick up a rider and she refused to get in the car because he was black. Ok the problem with this is so was she, wtf? Has she lost her damn mind? It is already hard for young brown men to deal with stigma from other races but this is over the top. Little did this woman know my son has his bachelor’s degree, is buying a house at 25, and was a decorated college athlete.
As he was telling me this my first reaction was for him to say well you can ride with my 50% white gene if you don’t like the black ones but instead I reiterated to him that ignorant people come in all shapes and colors.
In 2017 it amazes me we still deal with such stupidity but the one bright spot is she walked her ass in the pouring rain to wherever she was headed while my son was warm and dry in his brand new car….
I will steer clear of any political opinions but we all have to admit that the Obamas brought some flair, style, dignity, and family values to the whitehouse. They did things (like rapping about education) and god forbid wore shorts Go michelle. It has been refreshing and I will miss the diversity and perspective we have witnessed. Thank you for not fearing to be bold and take actions of clemency and pardons that were long overdue. HOPE
Long time between posts but it’s been crazy, this flu virus sent my entire household to the ER for dehydration and now trying to knock out the cold season. We got 12 inches of snow in Portland which shuts down the city and shows me all the crazies. People abandon their cars on the freeway, what? I grew up with snow so it’s hard for me to fathom that people have no common sense, ugh you can freeze by walking, stay in your car and run the heater intermittent til help arrives, duh…. also been working hard on the 2017 vision board, lots of goals to accomplish this year. Each one offers an opportunity to improve and we are never to old to reach for the stars. Get after it
So I normally steer clear of anything political but after last weeks elections and watching some of the speeches from the man elected I just wanted to post a few very interesting links. I will respect that some people felt he was the best candidate but I for the next 4 years will not refer to this man as my president.